Posted on May 07 2019
The Blue Nose marathon race weekend is fast approaching June 6-9th. (register HERE) As we all know, late Spring weather in the Maritimes can remain quite unpredictable. Dressing appropriately for race day is an important aspect of planning for a successful race; when properly prepared it can be a game changer on race day performance (see 2018 Boston Marathon!). Read on below for some important considerations to make when preparing for your best race.
Depending on race day temperatures, you may want to consider wearing differing articles of clothing. At the end of the day it always comes back to layering and length. Here are some questions you may want to ask yourself to help determine your outfit:
- What will the race day temperature be? (Long sleeves vs short sleeves)
- Will it be windy? (A strong wind can easily make it feel as if you are running in temps that are 5-10 °C colder than the actual temperature)
- Will it be wet or dry? (Rain or drizzle can significantly cool temperatures and make you lose body heat quicker than usual)
Below are some suggested race day outfits to help you decide what to wear. These err on the side of warm (it’s easier to shed layers than to add mid-race!)
Shop Women | Shop Men - or come see us in-store for a full selection of product!
- Tee Shirt with Light Running Jacket
- Full tights or Capris
- Light Gloves
- Light Toque
- Tee Shirt with Long Sleeve Shirt (over top or underneath)
- Half Tights/Capris or Medium Length Shorts
- Light gloves
- Tee Shirt or Singlet/Tank
- Medium Length Shorts or Split Shorts
- Split Shorts
A few other points to consider:
For the ladies: don’t forget to ensure you have a properly fitted sports bra. A good sports bra should follow the two-finger rule: you should be able to comfortably place two fingers under the shoulder strap by your collar bone, and under the band around your rib-cage. It should be snug, but not so tight that it feels restrictive. You should fill out the cups without any extra material puckering or wrinkling. If you have any doubts about your sports bra fit, you can always schedule an appointment with our fitting specialists! We have a great selection online Here.
For the men: Have you tried shorts with a liner? These can help keep things in place allowing for a much more comfortable run. Prefer shorts with no liner? Try some Saxx underwear for complete comfort (we have a huge selection in store!)
- Stay away from cotton! Cotton can be fine in cool, dry weather but absorbs moisture without quickly moving it away from your skin. Synthetics or merino wool tend to wick moisture at a much faster rate, keeping you dry and comfortable.
- If it’s sunny, wear Sunglasses!
- Worried about chafing? Try Bodyglide.
- Try several combinations of your race day outfit in the weeks leading up to the race, that way you can be confident in your choices for the big event!
Our online store has a curated selection of run clothing for both Men and Women, and we have an even greater selection in store.
Stay tuned for our next Blue Nose 2019 prep blog on May 16th which will teach you all about the wonderful world of SOCKS.
Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon from Blue Nose Marathon on Vimeo.